Wednesday 16 July 2014

My biggest assest is my arse —Bidemi Mustapha

Bidemi Mustapha, a graduate of Microbiology from The Polytechnic, Ibadan, is a Nollywood actress. The Okeho, Oyo State born, in this interview with TAYO GESINDE, speaks on her passion for acting, fashion preferences and the qualities she wants in a man. Excerpts:

Growing up
My growing up was nice. I grew up with my parents and siblings. I learnt so many things from my parents while growing up. They taught me values like patience, tolerance and contentment. All these qualities have really helped me in my personal life and career. I attended First Baptist Primary School and A.D.S High school, both in Okeho. I then proceeded to The Polytechnic Ibadan, for my OND and HND in Microbiology.
Foray into acting
Acting is one profession I have always been passionate about right from my childhood days. I joined the movie industry in 2009 while I was still at the polytechnic through a friend of mine who had an intimate relationship with Muyiwa Ademola. It was not easy at first as there were lots of challenges. There were times when I would go to locations but would not get any role to play. I had to spend my allowance on expenses such as traveling to locations, feeding, and buying clothes and so on. There was also the challenge of combining my academics with acting. I was however able to cope through the grace of God. I have featured in many movies such as  Irawe, Aja, Aranbada, Aye mi and so on. The movie that gave me fame was Aja written by Adebayo Tijani.
First experience on set
It was an exciting experience with Muyiwa Ademola on the set of a movie called “Irawe” and that was basically because I acted alongside my role model and a mentor. I wasn’t scared or nervous rather, I excited because it was a great opportunity for an upcoming artiste like me to be on set with a star. It was cool and I really enjoyed it.
Most embarrassing thing a fan ever did to me
My most embarrassing moment  as an actress occurred when I went to Shop rite one day and  a guy on sighting me, shouted my name and created a scene. He held my hand and made sure we walked round the   place together. Everybody was just looking at me.
Most challenging role so far
I have not played a role that has really challenged me in that regard. However, in “Eyinju Eledumare,” a movie produced by Bayo Tijani but which has not yet been released, I played the role of a young girl who was pregnant and was taken to a herbalist when it was time for her to be delivered of her baby and was asked to blow air into the bottle (ancient way of child delivery) so that she could have easy delivery.
My role models in the industry
I love Peju Ogunmola and Fathia Balogun a lot. I equally admire Mercy Johnson.  I have high regard for Bimbo Akintola because she knows her onions as far as acting is concerned. Toyin Aimakhu-Johnson too is a fantastic and beautiful actress who knows what she is doing.
Philosophy of life
Whatever you get to do, do it well.
On sexual harassment in nollywood
I have never experienced sexual harassment in the industry, either from a producer, director or marketer. Nobody has ever put me under duress just to offer me a role.
Description of self
I’m very simple, blunt and God fearing.
Definition of style
Style is all about making a statement, I make it simple, and I don’t overdo it. I love to look good, classy and attractive. I don’t follow trend, I wear what suits me and what I am comfortable in. When I want to buy fashion outfits and ensembles, I look out for three things. They are; colour, style and the quality.
Beauty regimen
I don’t have any special beauty routine that I follow. I use Pears Baby Lotion because I have a tender skin. I’m not really a make- up person but I do it occasionally especially when going for outings. It doesn’t cost me anything to look good.
Choice of accessories
 I love accessories. I buy costume jewellery, tiny chains, wrist watches, leather bags, low heels and flat shoes.
Favourite designers
 Though I love designers like Tiffany Amber, Zara, Louis Vuitton and Versace, I am not a designer freak.
Favourite perfumes
Bvlgari, Guerlain homme and Burberry
Favourite colours
Navy blue and purple
Accessory I can’t do without when going out
There is no accessory that I can’t do without.
Most expensive item in my wardrobe
 I cannot disclose that.
My hair and nails
I love Ghana- weaving, fixing of weave-on as well as  local weaving(adimole). As for my nails, I fix them occasionally, not all the time.
What I will like to change about myself
Nothing. I’m wonderfully made by the most high God.
Opinion on cosmetic surgery
I can’t advice anybody to do it because I cannot do it too.
My view on toning
It is a matter of choice. I might say toning is bad and someone else will see it in another way. So it all depends on individuals.
On provocative dressing
I don’t believe that if you have it, you should flaunt it. I know that it is trendy to wear clothes that expose the boobs, navel and so on but I, as a person, do not subscribe to it. My normal life is different from the role I play on screen. I can be given any role to act on set and as a good actress my dressing   must  fit in with the character I am playing in order for the audience to get the message I am passing across but  that does not mean I must wear such clothes in real life.
What I can’t be caught dead wearing
I don’t wear anything mini.
Special treat
I go out with my siblings, and sometimes, I go to the cinema to watch movies.
Keeping fit
I do exercise twice a week and I walk everyday for at least, 30minutes.
Greatest physical asset
My beautiful face and my arse.
Best beauty advice I have ever received
I was told not to bleach.
Gains and pains of being a celebrity
The gain of being a celebrity is fame while the pain is that people judge us based on the role we play on set. Also, people expect too much from celebrities, they believe that we have it all.
Marital status
I am single. I have never dated any actor in the industry but that doesn't
Bidemi Mustapha
mean that I can’t marry one. The quality I want in a man is that he must be God-fearing.
Coping with advances from men
I’m trying my best to manage that aspect of fame. I’ve also been praying to God to help to manage it well. There is no how one can avoid it but I am a determined and focused person. I know what I want and where I’m going and I will not allow anything to distract me.

No comments:

Post a Comment